The Zoological Museum is situated on the first floor of the Zoology Building. Part of the original collection dates back from the Dublin University Museum founded in 1777. The present collection which comprises over 20,000 specimens was moved to a purpose built building in 1876. Since then, the building has undergone considerable change and this inevitably impacted on the size and content of the museum. A recent fund raising appeal to our alumni and friends enabled major refurbishment of the museum in 2005. As a result, the museum has now achieved national acclaim, culminating in a 'Best Collections' award in May 2009.
The wide diversity of animal life represented in the collection is a rarity in itself and unsurpassed in Irish (and most British) universities. Today, the museum remains a vital, non-renewable teaching research facility for students, staff and visitors. It contains many examples of extinct and endangered species including Ireland's Last Great Auk (extinct 1844), Tasmanian Wolf, Passenger Pigeon,, Kakapo, Mammoth and Giant Irish Deer remains. The insect collections contain over 12,000 specimens many of which are of considerable national and international significance.The collection is further enhanced by over fifty glass models of marine-life, hand-made by the world renowned Blaschka family (c. 1860).
The museum is open to the public by appointment. Please contact the Curator, Dr Martyn Linnie for further information (Tel: +353-1-8961679; Fax: +353-1-6778094; Martyn Linnie